Online Legal Resources

Please click on the links below to find helpful information and resources to assist you with your legal issue.


 Child Abuse Expungement


 Civil Forfeiture

 Consumer Issues


Domestic Relations

(Adoptions, Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support, Spousal Support, Name Change for adult or minor, Birth Certificate Amendment for adult or minor)

Driver 's Licenses


 Estate Planning

(Wills, Healthcare Directive, Power of Attorney)






Getting Legal Help with a Title or Deed Issue

If you think you have a homeownership problem - that is, a problem with the deed or title to your property - you should contact one of the following agencies:

Getting Information About Your Home

Informational Pamphlets

Online Resources

  • Office of Property Assessment, City of Philadelphia:
    This is a city agency that provides information on who owns a property, the approximate value of the property (as determined by the City), and real estate tax balances.
    • A Caution About Online Resources: Although the internet is a good starting place to gather property information, sometimes the information provided on these websites is not entirely accurate. The only way to ensure that you have accurate information on a property is to go to the Department of Records in person. See the instructions below for going to the Department of Records.

City Resources

  • City of Philadelphia Department of Records:
    This is the City department that is in charge of recording deeds and providing copies of deeds already recorded. You can view property records by going to Room 154 of City Hall, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. If you would like to obtain a copy of any recorded documents, the cost is $2 per page.
  • City of Philadelphia Register of Wills:
    This is the City department that is responsible for approving the administration of deceased person's estates, including those who die with a will and those who die without a will.
    • If you would like to know whether someone has applied to administer a deceased person's estate, you should call the Register of Wills at (215) 686-6261. However, you may have to visit their office in person in order to find out this information. Their office is located in Room 180 of City Hall.
    • If you would like to apply to administer a deceased person's estate, you should call the Register of Wills at (215) 686-6250, to ask what you need to bring in to apply. Their office is located in Room 180 of City Hall.

City Services Related to Owning Your Own Home

OHCD, which is a City agency, and housing counseling agencies provide:
This is a comprehensive manual, created by the City of Philadelphia Office of Housing and Community Development (OHCD), on housing services that are available in the City of Philadelphia.




Public Housing



Nonprofit Organizations


Small Business


Special Education and School Discipline


 Tort Defense