Philadelphia VIP is a nonprofit that recruits and supports volunteer attorneys to represent low-income Philadelphians who face critical legal issues, but cannot afford a lawyer.
Since 1981, VIP has been the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, annually supporting over 1,000 volunteers assisting hundreds of low-income clients in four priority areas: preventing homelessness, preserving income, supporting family stability, and promoting community economic development. Our staff of eighteen consists of attorneys, case managers, and other professionals and is highly collaborative, creative, and passionate about our capacity-building model of service. VIP values a diverse work environment and encourages people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and people with disabilities to apply.
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Administrative Assistant supports VIP’s legal program by supporting case intake; coordinating relations with clients, callers, and visitors; and providing logistical support.
The position is full-time (37-40 hours/week) and non-exempt, with a salary range of $41,000 to $47,000, and an outstanding team atmosphere. VIP’s generous benefits include medical and dental insurance (with employee medical premium fully paid by VIP); a 403(b) plan with employer contributions; short-and long-term disability and life insurance; flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care; industry-leading paid time off, including substantial vacation and sick time, 12+ paid holidays, and paid parental leave; an individual budget for professional development; and alternative work arrangements, including generous telework hours and scheduling flexibility.
A strong candidate will demonstrate: interest in VIP’s service model of expanding access to justice through supporting pro bono volunteer and a strong desire in working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment. Further qualifications include:
- High-school diploma/GED and at least 3 years of office administrative experience OR Bachelor’s degree and at least 1 year of office administrative experience
- Excellent attention to detail, organization, and time management
- Aptitude for technology, including proficiency with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint, and ability to independently navigate unfamiliar software
- Sound customer service and administrative skills
- Spanish fluency is preferred, but not required
Coordinate case intake and provide program support
- Process case intake files in accordance with eligibility criteria, performing quality checks on data and documentation; follow up to collect additional information from clients or referring partners as needed
- Handle a variety of data entry tasks, including volunteer database maintenance
- Send cyclical requests to volunteers for updates on the status of cases, record responses, and coordinate follow up to close cases or collect further information as needed
- Oversee and execute Continuing Legal Education (CLE) program and compliance
- Serve as in-house Notary Public for VIP clients and volunteers (training and insurance provided)
Support operations and office management
- Greet visitors at the front desk and direct them appropriately
- Manage VIP’s telephone line and promptly attend to caller needs
- Assist with a variety of office management tasks, including scheduling, mail, supply management, and facilities management
- Support colleagues on discrete administrative tasks related to IT, finance, and human resources
- Provide event management support
HOW TO APPLY:
E-mail cover letter and resume to Karna Laubenstein, Director of Operations, email@example.com. No calls, please.
What to include in your cover letter: All cover letters should include a salary requirement, potential start date, and any non-English language skills. Applicants are invited to include a statement about how the applicant’s unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of VIP’s staff team and legal practice.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to those received by April 29, 2022.
COVID-19 Note: Staff are required to get COVID-19 vaccinations, including CDC-recommended boosters.
PHILADELPHIA VIP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER