Philadelphia VIP seeks an energetic, goal-oriented team player to serve as its Volunteer Engagement Coordinator to help VIP mobilize volunteer attorneys to represent clients. The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator will expand VIP’s capacity to attract and retain volunteers by working on initiatives that will motivate prospective volunteers to engage with VIP and helping to design, implement, and refine new approaches to retain volunteers.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented; has excellent communications skills; is skilled with technology and comfortable with data; cares deeply about access to justice for underserved communities; and values volunteers. VIP values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and people with disabilities to apply.
This is a one-year AmeriCorps VISTA position. An overview of VISTA benefits for 2020, including living allowance and health benefits, is located here: Overview of 2020 VISTA Member Benefits.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. This position does not require a law degree.
- Passion for access to justice for underserved communities and commitment to VIP’s volunteer-based service model
- Ability to positively engage other people and build rapport
- Exceptionally close attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Interest in database management, data analytics, and information systems
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Technological proficiency, including facility with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Recruitment: build capacity to serve more clients through initiatives to recruit more volunteers
- Develop an advanced understanding of VIP’s volunteer database—Legal Server—to support all facets of role.
- Use institutional knowledge and volunteer data to identify organizations for recruitment outreach.
- Build relationships with partner organizations to identify areas where volunteer interest and client need are aligned.
- Coordinate outreach to key volunteering constituencies, including volunteers of color.
- Coordinate meetings and provide support to VIP’s in-formation volunteer and client Advisory Council.
- Coordinate VIP’s pre- and post-event recruitment by building and supporting systems to track multiple rounds of engagement with attendees.
- Participate in data analysis of recruitment event attendance and subsequent volunteer engagement to identify patterns and successful recruitment approaches.
- Partner in the planning and execution of VIP’s two major volunteer-focused events; create follow up protocols to build capacity for ongoing impact.
Retention: create and improve approaches to increase volunteer retention
- Assess existing technological capabilities; use knowledge to develop a system for supporting legal staff in multiple rounds of outreach to newly recruited volunteers.
- Routinely review data and interview staff to measure impact of volunteer retention efforts.
- Support development and implementation of a volunteer satisfaction survey.
- Create and coordinate annual calendar of award nomination opportunities external to VIP to reward outstanding volunteers for their work.
- Lead the revision of VIP’s Volunteer Handbook and other resources in VIP’s suite of support materials for volunteers.
- Research and implement a low-cost video recording system for VIP’s trainings, to upload to web-based Resource Library.
Case Placement: identify strategies to increase case-taking by volunteers
- Analyze existing systems for matching clients with volunteers, including studying case placement metrics and volunteer feedback, to identify which factors are indicative of successful case placement.
- Using volunteer database, design strategic research tools for team members to identify volunteers ready to take their next case.
- Lead maintenance of volunteer records to enable team members to easily identify potential volunteers for new cases; create workflows for routine database cleaning.
- Work with staff to create systems to spur more timely status reporting and case closing by volunteers, thereby freeing up volunteers to take new cases.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email cover letter and resume to Karna Laubenstein, Director of Operations, email@example.com. No calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a priority deadline of April 15, 2020.
What to include in your cover letter: All cover letters should include describe the applicant’s qualifications for and interest in the position. We invite you to include a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of VIP’s staff team and legal practice.
PHILADELPHIA VIP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER