ABOUT PHILADELPHIA VIP
Philadelphia VIP is a nonprofit that recruits and supports volunteer attorneys to represent low-income Philadelphians who face critical legal issues, but cannot afford a lawyer.
Since 1981, VIP has been the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, annually supporting over 1,500 volunteers assisting hundreds of low-income clients in four priority areas: preventing homelessness, preserving income, supporting family stability, and promoting community economic development. Our staff of twenty consists of attorneys, case managers, and other professionals and is highly collaborative, creative, and passionate about our capacity-building model of service. VIP values a diverse work environment and encourages people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and people with disabilities to apply.
Reporting to a Supervising Attorney, Pro Bono Case Managers play a critical role in VIP’s volunteer-based service model. Focusing on a variety of legal issues, Pro Bono Case Managers have primary responsibility for preparing cases for placement with volunteer attorneys, matching clients with volunteers, and providing logistical support to attorneys and clients throughout the life of the case. This Pro Bono Case Manager position also plays a key role in communicating with our Spanish-speaking clients, preferably through their own conversational Spanish skills.
The position is full-time (38-40 hours/week) and non-exempt, with a salary range of $42,000 to $47,000, and an outstanding team atmosphere. VIP’s generous benefits include medical and dental insurance (with employee medical premium fully paid by VIP); a 403(b) plan with employer contributions; short-and long-term disability and life insurance; flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care; industry-leading paid time off, including substantial vacation and sick time, 12+ paid holidays, and paid parental leave; an individual budget for professional development; and alternative work arrangements, including generous telework hours and scheduling flexibility. This position is part of a bargaining unit of employees represented by UAW.
A strong pro bono case manager candidate will demonstrate: a sound commitment to VIP’s service model—expanding access to justice through supporting pro bono; a passion for engaging and interfacing with lawyers from a variety of practice settings; strong communication skills; and interest in working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment. Further qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree required (this position does not require a J.D.)
- Capacity for learning and understanding substantive legal issues
- Excellent time management, organization, and attention to detail
- Demonstrated capacity to build relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Experience assisting clients living in poverty or volunteers preferred, but not required
- Team player, collaborative, and able to receive and act on feedback
- Aptitude with technology, including a comprehensive case management system
- Conversational Spanish language skills are preferred
Recruit and retain volunteer attorneys in private practice to fulfill VIP’s mission:
- Actively recruit volunteer attorneys and efficiently match volunteers with clients, including maintaining volunteer records to identify volunteer prospects for new cases.
- Develop new sources of potential volunteers, while retaining current volunteer relationships.
- Actively strengthen partnerships with key stakeholders, including law firms, and participate in volunteer recognition efforts and events.
- Assist in planning, execution, and follow-up for volunteer clinics, trainings, and other events.
Guide and support clients and volunteer attorneys throughout the life of the case:
- Interview new clients to gather necessary information and documents; assess the legal merit of cases, with attorney supervision; and develop client relationships, utilizing conversational Spanish language skills for appropriate clients, if possible.
- Provide ongoing case management.
- Facilitate the volunteer-client relationship, and obtain case updates from attorneys.
- With attorney supervision, provide technical assistance to volunteer attorneys in case subjects, procedures, support services, and client interaction.
- Monitor cases for status reports, deadlines, and emergencies.
Manage a Legal Team strategic project:
- Administer a distinct project tied to VIP’s legal work, which will include developing a deeper knowledge of a particular legal issue.
- Improve the project’s structure, methods, and design, as necessary.
- Strategic projects include the Custody Advice-Only and Attorney Consultation Panels, Mortgage Foreclosure Diversion Program, Landlord/Tenant Eviction Defense, and Language Access, and generally make up about a quarter of the Pro Bono Case Manager’s workload.
Lead and support other efforts to further VIP’s mission and strategic goals:
- Help implement VIP’s strategic plan, including primary responsibility for designated task(s).
- Track metrics to meet goals and improve recruitment, retention, and case referrals.
- Develop and strengthen sources of “in-kind” case support services for volunteers, including interpreters and translators for language access.
HOW TO APPLY:
E-mail cover letter, resume, and references, to Kelly Gastley, Managing Attorney, firstname.lastname@example.org. References will not be contacted without prior permission from candidate. No calls, please.
What to include in your cover letter: All cover letters should include a salary requirement, potential start date, and a statement as to the applicant’s Spanish language skills. Applicants are invited to include a statement about how the applicant’s unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of VIP’s staff and legal practice.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to those received by Friday, March 1, 2024.
PHILADELPHIA VIP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER