Philadelphia VIP is a nonprofit that recruits and supports volunteer attorneys to represent low-income Philadelphians who face critical legal issues, but cannot afford a lawyer.
Since 1981, VIP has been the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, annually supporting over 1,000 volunteers assisting hundreds of low-income clients in four priority areas: preventing homelessness, preserving income, supporting family stability, and promoting community economic development. Our staff of eighteen consists of attorneys, case managers, and other professionals and is highly collaborative, creative, and passionate about our capacity-building model of service. VIP values a diverse work environment and encourages people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and people with disabilities to apply.
Reporting to the Program Manager and the Executive Director, the Communications and Content Manager furthers VIP’s mission by planning and executing a multimedia communications strategy to recruit and retain volunteer attorneys and donors, including via social media, email marketing, print media, and the press.
The position is full-time (37-40 hours/week) and exempt, with a salary range of $45,000 to $50,000, and an outstanding team atmosphere. VIP’s generous benefits include medical and dental insurance (with employee medical premium fully paid by VIP); a 403(b) plan with employer contributions; short-and long-term disability and life insurance; flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care; industry-leading paid time off, including substantial vacation and sick time, 12+ paid holidays, and paid parental leave; an individual budget for professional development; and alternative work arrangements, including generous telework hours and scheduling flexibility.
A strong candidate will demonstrate: a sound commitment to VIP’s service model of expanding access to justice through supporting pro bono volunteers; passion for using data-informed solutions to enhance volunteer recruitment and retention; and interest in working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment. Further qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least one year of relevant professional experience required
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated interest in impact storytelling
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about an organization’s branding and messaging
- Interest in developing a functional understanding of VIP’s legal program and its clients, volunteers, and donors
- High aptitude for technology, specifically Microsoft Excel and CRM software (Salesforce)
- Experience with and/or ability to independently learn comprehensive use of WordPress, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Mailchimp
- Close attention to detail, organized, and able to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and deadlines
- Interest in elementary graphic design, and ability to work with external partners on developing graphic materials
Manage, produce content, and track metrics for VIP’s communications efforts:
- Write compelling and accessible messaging about VIP’s mission and impact, considering VIP’s specific audiences, to be used across an array of communications platforms and in grant materials
- Manage and draft content, including e-newsletters, client and volunteer narratives, guest blog posts and newspaper articles, social media posts, and general event publicity
- Grow VIP’s social media presence, especially on LinkedIn and Twitter, and on a client-facing Instagram account
- Produce impact stories by identifying and interviewing clients and volunteers, and by reporting on VIP events
- Produce VIP’s Annual Report, in collaboration with staff and outside vendors as needed
- Maintain phillyvip.org, including by drafting content as needed and working with an outside web developer
- Establish relationships with relevant publications and media sources to highlight VIP’s work and raise awareness of the program
In partnership with the Program Manager, develop and implement a strategic plan for communications:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of VIP’s target audiences, who are primarily volunteer attorneys and donors, but occasionally clients (specifically low-income small businesses and homeowners) and policymakers
- Collaborate with the Program Manager and other program staff to identify and address emerging communications needs and design innovative outreach solutions
- Design systemic solutions to personalize volunteer and donor outreach by areas of legal interest using Salesforce and other software
- Create and maintain cohesive branding materials and templates, and instruct staff on their use
- Create long- and short-term strategic goals and timelines for communications efforts
Provide proactive support with volunteer programming and volunteer relationship management:
- Engage with individual volunteers, law firm and corporate partners, and government partners on social media
- Identify and coordinate award nominations and other volunteer recognition opportunities
- Assist in maintaining VIP’s databases of volunteer contact information
- Assist in production of mass mailings and other volunteer/client outreaches
HOW TO APPLY:
E-mail cover letter, resume, and references, to Karna Laubenstein, Director of Operations, email@example.com. References will not be contacted without prior permission from candidate. No calls, please.
What to include in your cover letter: All cover letters should include a salary requirement, potential start date, and any non-English language skills. Applicants are invited to include a statement about how the applicant’s unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of VIP’s staff and legal practice.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to those received by Thursday, March 10, 2022.
COVID-19 note: VIP is returning to in-person operations, with appropriate safety precautions, as of March 14, 2022. Staff are required to get COVID-19 vaccinations, including CDC-recommended boosters.
PHILADELPHIA VIP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER