Philadelphia VIP is a nonprofit that recruits and supports volunteer attorneys to represent low-income Philadelphians who face critical legal issues, but cannot afford a lawyer.
Since 1981, VIP has been the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, annually supporting over 1,000 volunteers assisting hundreds of low-income clients in four priority areas: preventing homelessness, preserving income, supporting family stability, and promoting community economic development. Our staff of eighteen consists of attorneys, case managers, and other professionals and is highly collaborative, creative, and passionate about our capacity-building model of service. VIP values a diverse work environment and encourages people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and people with disabilities to apply.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Manager furthers VIP’s mission by fostering a culture of philanthropy through strategic fundraising efforts and communications efforts.
The position is full-time (37-40 hours/week) and exempt, with a salary range of $55,000 to $65,000, and an outstanding team atmosphere. VIP’s generous benefits include medical and dental insurance (with employee medical premium fully paid by VIP); a 403(b) plan with employer contributions; short-and long-term disability and life insurance; flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care; industry-leading paid time off, including substantial vacation and sick time, 12+ paid holidays, and paid parental leave; an individual budget for professional development; and alternative work arrangements, including generous telework hours and scheduling flexibility.
A strong candidate will demonstrate: a sound commitment to VIP’s service model of expanding access to justice through supporting pro bono volunteers; passion for using data-informed solutions to retain and expand VIP’s donor base and enhance the donor experience; excellent attention to detail and track record of managing multiple projects and deadlines; and interest in working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment. Further qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least two years of relevant professional experience required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Discretion when communicating with VIP stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about an organization’s fundraising goals
- Interest in developing a functional understanding of VIP’s legal program and its clients, volunteers, and donors
- High aptitude for technology, specifically Microsoft Excel and CRM software (Salesforce)
- Experience with and/or ability to independently learn comprehensive use of various workplace giving and grant software packages
- Close attention to detail, organized, and able to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and deadlines
Manage fundraising strategy and campaigns:
- Plan and manage VIP’s annual fundraising campaigns
- Write compelling fundraising appeals and coordinate all aspects of mailing and digital campaigns, including by collaborating with the Communications and Content Manger on social media posts
- In partnership with the Program Manager and the Communications and Content Manager, design systemic solutions to personalize volunteer and donor outreach by areas of legal interest using Salesforce and other software
- Work with sponsors to identify specific needs as they align with VIPs sponsorship opportunities
- Manage and oversee all aspects of planning the annual fundraiser, including but not limited to securing venues and other vendors, tracking budget and timelines, and engaging with guests and donors before, during, and after the event
- Explore new ways to engage donors and welcome new donors through organization-wide events
- Build VIP’s corporate matching program and work directly with donors eligible for matching funds
Track and manage incoming revenue:
- Maintain and build on donor and prospect tracking systems using Salesforce
- Receive, track, and acknowledge donations promptly
- Manage deposit process with VIP’s external finance team for all revenue and maintain accurate records
- Track campaign progress and produce reports on the successes of campaigns to be presented at staff and Board meetings
- Track grant application and report deadlines and coordinate with appropriate staff as deadlines approach
- Develop a system utilizing Salesforce to identify key deadlines and staff responsible for each grant
- In partnership with the Program Manager, maintain website donor portal and payment processing accounts
Alongside the Executive Director, serve as primary contact for the Board of Directors
- Provide high-level administrative support to the Board of Directors by maintaining the annual Board and Committee meeting calendar, drafting meeting agendas in partnership with the Executive Director and Board Chair, maintaining the Board directory and demographic data, and leading composition of quarterly Board reports
- Serve as the primary staff liaison to the Development Committee and provide regular updates to committee members regarding campaign statuses
- Facilitate all Board fundraising activities as needed for fundraising campaigns
- In partnership with Executive Director and key Board members, develop, implement, and coordinate Board engagement strategy
HOW TO APPLY:
E-mail cover letter, resume, and references, to Karna Laubenstein, Director of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org. References will not be contacted without prior permission from candidate. No calls, please.
What to include in your cover letter: All cover letters should include a salary requirement, potential start date, and any non-English language skills. Applicants are invited to include a statement about how the applicant’s unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of VIP’s staff and legal practice.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to those received by Sunday, April 3, 2022.
COVID-19 note: VIP is returning to in-person operations, with appropriate safety precautions, as of March 14, 2022. Staff are required to get COVID-19 vaccinations, including CDC-recommended boosters.
PHILADELPHIA VIP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER