Philadelphia VIP, the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, recruits, trains, and supports volunteer attorneys who provide free legal services to low-income clients.
Reporting to the Staff Attorney, the Tangled Title Fund Administrator manages the Tangled Title Fund, a City-funded program of over $100,000 that pays for costs associated with resolving clients’ title issues. Key responsibilities include maintaining case files and data, preparing for and leading Advisory Committee meetings, and preparing detailed bimonthly reports. The position is part-time (60 hours/month) and nonexempt, with an hourly rate range of $22-25, paid-time off and an outstanding team atmosphere.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Passion for access to justice for underserved communities
- Close attention to detail, and facility with quantitative and qualitative data
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to learn basic concepts involving probate and real estate law and procedure
- Experience assisting low-income clients and pro bono volunteers preferred, but not required
- Collaborative and has capacity to receive and act on feedback
- Embraces technology, including a case management system
Manage Tangled Title Fund applications, case files, and data
- Receive incoming applications and disbursement requests and review for completeness
- Communicate promptly with applicants’ attorneys, and regularly follow up for missing information and documentation
- Maintain and promptly update case files
- Track data in LegalServer, VIP’s case management system
Prepare for and lead monthly Advisory Committee meetings
- Electronically compile packets with applications and disbursement requests, including relevant information on applicants’ prior requests
- Coordinate monthly meetings with the Advisory Committee members, and lead those meetings through review of all submissions and by providing current information on the Tangled Title Fund’s funding status
- Promptly and accurately communicate approval decisions to applicants’ attorneys
Manage the disbursement of funds on a monthly cadence
- Request disbursement checks from VIP’s finance team
- Process disbursement checks, and send them to applicants’ attorneys
- Track disbursement data in LegalServer, VIP’s case management system
Execute on bimonthly reporting, and monitor overall expenditures of the Tangled Title Fund
- Prepare detailed bimonthly reports of approved applications and disbursement requests, for submission to the City of Philadelphia’s Division of Housing and Community Development
- Prepare case narratives to highlight the impact of the Tangled Title Fund
- Continually monitor the Tangled Title Fund’s overall expenditures and implement changes needed to ensure that available funds are utilized fully and properly
HOW TO APPLY
E-mail cover letter and resume to Karna Laubenstein, Director of Operations, email@example.com. No calls, please.
What to include in your cover letter: All cover letters should include a salary requirement, potential start date, and any non-English language skills. Applicants are invited to include a statement about how the applicant’s unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of VIP’s staff team and legal practice.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to those received by Friday, September 17, 2021.
PHILADELPHIA VIP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER