Skip Navigation

Client seeks title to his deceased father’s home. Father left a will that directs the executor of his estate (client’s uncle) to sell the home and divide the proceeds between client and his brother. Both brothers want to remain in the home rather than selling. Client has spoken with his uncle who has expressed a willingness to come to an agreement. An attorney is needed to negotiate with uncle to reach a family settlement agreement and to then help probate father’s estate, including transferring title to client and brother and filing an inheritance tax return. In the alternative, if a family settlement agreement is unsuccessful, then the attorney may need to file a petition to have client appointed administrator of the estate.